Mr. Edward Martin Goodman
Birmingham Post 17th January 1917
The death occurred in London on Monday, at the age of sixty-six, of Mr. Edward Martin Goodman, who was a partner in the firm of Scholefield, Goodman, and Sons, Birmingham, until it was converted into a limited liability company in 1913.
The third son of the late Mr. J. D. Goodman, Mr. E. M. Goodman was educated at Wimbledon and Clifton College, and entered his father’s business at the age of nineteen. Six years later he was made a partner, and subsequently took a prominent part in conjunction with his two brothers in developing the business of Scholefield, Goodman, and Sons. He also became associated with other commercial concerns, and was a director of the Birmingham Small Arms Company for many years until the amalgamation with the Daimler Company took place. Afterwards he became chairman of the Birmingham Metal and Munitions Company, of which he had been a director from its formation, and held that appointment until three years ago. He was also interested in the management of Messrs. Elkington and Co. Some time ago he retired from business, and since then had resided at Upland, Ledbury.
In philanthropic work Mr. Goodman rendered valuable service. He was especially interested in the General Institution for the Blind, with which both his grandfather and father had been associated. After serving as a member of the committee and as hon. secretary he became chairman in 1894, and under his direction the institution made substantial progress. He succeeded his father as chairman of the Birmingham Lying-in Charity in 1895, was a member of the committee of the Church Extension Society, a trustee of Bishop Ryder’s Church, and, in 1893, when the Church Congress was held in Birmingham, was one of the hon. secretaries. The late Mr. Goodman was also a staunch supporter of the Edgbaston Church of England College for Girls from its foundation, and was appointed chairman of the board of management in 1900. In politics he was a Conservative, and in his younger days took an active part in the political and municipal life of the city.
Mr. Goodman, who leaves three sons and three daughters, was twice married, his first wife being the daughter of Dr. Van Diest, of Louvain, Belgium, and his second wife, who survives him, is a daughter of the late Prebendary Scott, rector of Tiverton, Devon, to whom he was married in 1910.