Miss Ada Laura Goodman
Geelong Times 21st August 1922
Women Who Count in Geelong – Five minute reviews (By Dorothea)
Some well know to the public, some hardly known at all – in the home circle and the social round, in charity and sport, in club and church, in business and office, in entertainment and in teaching, women in and near Geelong either personally or by their influence over others, are leaving their mark upon the honor board of womanhood, and the story of their town.
Guardian of the Young, the Sick and the Aged
A name that brings to the mind of all the picture of an ever busy worker doing good in a quiet, unassuming way, one who possesses a winning, tactful personality and is connected to the societies that are helping to bring comfort and cheer to the poor of Geelong, is that of Miss Goodman – of whom it can truly be said, “A friend in need is a friend indeed.”
Since the formation in November, 1906, Miss Goodman has been honorary secretary of the Geelong District Nursing Society, and it is largely due to her business capabilities that the society owes its present position. She has always been ready to help and advise in departments other than her own special one.
As a member of the Geelong Church of England Girls’ Grammar School Council, Miss Goodman has an altogether different sphere in which to labor.
The records of Christ Church, where for many years her father was vicar, bear witness to her many good works. She was her father’s right hand. Using her talent for music, she held the position of organist at Christ Church for about 25 years, and it was with great regret her resignation was accepted. Miss Goodman was a teacher in the Sunday School, and has been connected with all the societies and clubs of the church.
Another society in which she is a keen worker, and in which she holds the position of vice-president, is the Ladies’ Benevolent Society. In connection with this work, Miss Goodman was superintendent of the Austin Cottages for many years, and spent much time and energy among the occupants, and it is with a smile and very loving and sincere words they speak her name.
The Baby Health Centre in Geelong was established in 1917, and Miss Goodman undertook the duties of honorary secretary, a position she still holds. For this society she has taken up the cudgels in many a debate when the rights and wrongs of the position have been discussed.
The spare moments – which are few – she spends with brush and palette, for she possesses a decided talent for painting, and the funds of a street day and fete have benefited through her work.
Quiet spoken, but resolute, with a gift of humor which helps her through the difficult places, Miss Goodman in her widespread spheres is, and has long been, a power in the city. The continued progress and efficiency of the enterprises with which she is associated proves the strength of her influence.
Canon Goodman wrote his name on the history of Geelong, his daughter is etching the name deeper. Of her it will be recorded: “Worthy daughter of worthy father.”